Throughout my career as a musician and workshop leader I have always been involved with theatre, as well as incorporating
it into my improvisation and musical performance.
I began as a dancer at age 15 at the famus Windmill Theatre, and also danced in productions such as "No No Nanette"
at the Richmond Theatre, and spent 6 months at The Moulin Rouge in Paris. At 16 I was singing in a strip club, amongst other
venues. One of my early theatrical performances was at the Mountview Theatre in "Under Milk Wood".
In the early 70's I became involved with the Oval House Theatre through leading voice workshops there. In working with
actors, I learnt about the methods of Joan Littlewood and Grotowski. I also acted in Oval House Productions, including "Pucka
Ri", which we went on to perform at Edinburgh Fringe Festival with Pierce Brosnan.
I have continued to lead workshops and write music for theatre companies including:
- Shared Experience
- Common Stock Youth Theatre (was Musical Director)
- Oxford Youth Theatre (co-directed Edgar Allan Poe's "the Masque of The Red Death"
- Crucible T.I.E.
- Welfare State (organised their music training programme)
- Theatre Centre - various productions incl. Noel Greg's "Plague of Innocence"
- Theatre Royal Stratford
Other Productions I have acted/been involved in include:
- "Mal de Mere" (written by Micheline Wandor,
Dir Midge Mackenzie) in the Women's Theatre Festival at the Almost Free Theatre.
- "My Name is Rosa Luxembourg" with Anne
- I.O.U Theatre: "Rape of the Tea Goose" - tour incl. the Oval House and venues in Holland such as the Melkveg.
- Oval House and Drill Hall: "Coming Soon" written by Debbie Klein, and Changing Women's Theatre - "Patterns"
- Monstrous Regiment "The Fourth Wall" with Paola Dionisotti (written by Dario Fo and Franca Rame).
Gay Sweatshop "One Night Stands" with Lindsay Cooper and a production written by Greyum Piper.
- Light and Shade duo with
Sue Tandy comprising lighting and performance.
- Soundtracks to Mike Figgis films "Leaving Las Vegas", "One Night Stand",
and "The Loss of Sexual Innocence".
- Professor Van Helsing with The Angel of The Odd Orchestra, in the live soundtrack
performance to 'Nosferatu' at The Royal Geographical Society
Lindsay Cooper's Song Project, featuring the song cycle
Moscow' (text by Sally Potter) at London's Purcell Room
and several major European festivals.
|Professor Van Helsing
Major projects incorporating theatre include:
- The Feminist Improvising Group, which I co-founded in the late 70's. Members included Lindsay Cooper, Corine Liensol,
Cathy Williams, Irene Schweizer, Sally Potter, Anne-Marie Roelofs, Angèle Veltmeijer and many others.
- Contradictions, started in 1980, a women's workshop performance group exploring both prepared work and improvisation
in music, dance, theatre and visuals. As a large open group this has been a focus for many women, and various groups and
projects such as "No Rules OK" have emerged from it.
- Political Street Theatre with Bro Emlyn for Peace and Justice activists - "Mock Arms Fair" in Carmarthen
as Arms Dealer Lady Barren-Brooke-Smythe with Harriboy Spiv, and Canvassing for NooNoo Labour as Republicans A Broad political
advisor Bella Lamour in "Vote NooNoo" in Newcastle Emlyn with Candidate Tipsy "Tubby" Tel.
Maggie is currently working with Claire Turner as 'GUFF & TOSH'
of ABSURDLY MOVING THEATRE COMPANY
Their multi media
show 'REFUSE' has just finished it's first run at St. Dogmaels Art Gallery. The show is described by Maggie as
'Surreal kitchen sink agit prop performance art'
click here to play video